Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hello There!

Hi! My name is Sara Jones.

I live with my husband, my daughter, and our 3 year old Sheltie. He sheds a lot, but I make sure none of the jewelry I make has hair on it before I bag it, and I check again before I send anything. My mother-in-law asked where I came up with the name "Viking Jones" and I sat and thought about it for a while and then it dawned on me: I make a LOT of viking knit jewelry.

I will try my best to blog 3 times a week. If I don't think I have anything to write about that involves my own jewelry, I will most likely pick an artist on Etsy to blog about. I have no problem giving someone else screen time. :) If you have a shop on Etsy when I have more of a following on here, I would be happy to feature you on my blog. I know it doesn't get me any extra views on my shop, but that's ok. Helping others is good and fun, too.

I started making jewelry when I was younger. Plastic pony beads and the plastic cord used for macrame and stuff. I graduated to actually doing elementary macrame keychains and cheap necklaces with beads that caught my eye at Hobby Lobby. I had never seen a Michael's before I was 20. Honest. I go there now if I need bead containers, though Harbor Freight has better ones.

I learned how to do viking knit about a year ago and fell in love with it. Although, I HATE starting the knit. Once I get it going, however, it's smooth and easy. I like using copper because I don't use it much in any other jewelry. This gives me something to use the metal on since it has such great properties and color. Like sterling or fine silver, copper gains a patina over time, but I personally think it just gives it more of a personality. Once learning the weaving technique, I read a few forums and figured out how to do double stitch and even a triple stitch. I love mixing a short piece of the chain with beads to add something special to the bracelet or necklace.

Every once in a while I will post about the care of certain stones and jewelry pieces since it is good knowledge to have when you may be in the market to buy an expensive piece. You will obviously want to know how to care for it if you paid a pretty penny for it. As an artist, I know I want you to care for it since I put a lot of time, energy, and heart into making it for you to enjoy.

Thank you for reading, I will return soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment