Monday, May 17, 2010

Why my daughter will hate me in a couple hours...

When you have a child, you MUST take them to the doctor and let the nurses inflict major pain on them in your presence. Why this archaic ritual still continues is beyond me. They need to make it the obligation of babysitters and nannies to be the ones in the room when they shove that needle in your child's leg.

My first encounter with this was my daughter's PKU test. They made me hold my sweet one-week-old baby girl while they poked the bottom of her feet for the blood sample. It was the most horrible experience in my life. She screamed and screamed and I wanted to cry with her. The next time was her first vaccinations at the pediatricians office. Thankfully, the nurse made me sign the paper while she did the shots real quick. I didn't have to hold her for this. But, when she administered the shots and my baby started crying, I signed the wrong line on the paper... Jumpy, who, me? It is the worst feeling in the world to know that you have willingly inflicted this pain on your child. However, she won't be getting sick and the pain is short lived.

Last month would have been my daughter's 15 month checkup and vaccines. However, I was forced to cancel and reschedule the appointment for later because my car had a flat tire and we didn't have time to get it fixed. So, in fifteen minutes, I will be taking her in for those shots, a full month late. Since she's older and more squirmy, I get to hold her for these shots. This is not a fun experience for either party. The nurses hate doing it because then the kids hate the nurses, and the mothers hate it for obvious reasons. I don't like needles. Holding my daughter down while she has to get a shot is uncomfortable for me in many ways.

At least this time it isn't raining. Last time, it was raining so hard, and I was in my husbands car, that the road to the office was flooded. Some of the larger trucks and SUVs were making it through the low water crossing just fine, but my little car was not going to make it without a ferry. Luckily, the cars behind me stopped and let me turn around and go the wrong way for the couple yards it took to get back to the crossover on the street. I was able to make my way back to the light and thankfully get to the doctors office via the next block which was on a hill so the water wasn't high on the road. But it is an experience I don't wish to repeat.

I also don't see the point in there being parking fees at a doctors office. Seriously, now. They suck enough money out of us anyway. Yeah, it only costs $2-$3 for the whole visit time, but still. I don't see the point. It costs my husband $36 to park at the hospital when I gave birth. I was there for 4 days. I find it ridiculous. But it's a price we pay for living in a city. The little community hospital in the area we lived in before moving to San Antonio didn't have paid parking, no matter how long you were there.

And that is my rant for today, I now have to start getting ready. We'll be leaving in about 10 minutes for an appointment at 230pm. Why leave so early? Because people in this city do not understand the concept of driving and the traffic is going to suck balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment